Interview with Kaylyn Gabbert

This is an interview from my fanpage on facebook, but I felt I should share it here as well because I like every once in a while showing how serious of an author I am on my blog. 

This interview was from (11/30/13), and I emulated the interview with Sherilyn Kenyon from her Dark-Hunter Companion book. 

How did you get started writing?

I got started writing when I was only eleven. I was on my way home from a church retreat with my best friend, and I was getting a little restless in the car. I found a small Winnie the Pooh notebook in my bag and a pen in my bag and came up with a short little story inspired by my favorite holiday, fourth of July, and my role model at the time, my older brother. As time went on and life became a little bleak I would escape into my writing. Writing helped me deal with my life when it was bleak or terrifying. And since I grew up writing, writing is now a huge part of who I am. 

What drove your obsession with the paranormal? Did you watch scary movies as a kid? 

I love the paranormal because it's more exciting than the world around me. I heard a lot about werewolves and other supernatural creatures when I was a kid and started reading books about them. I eventually adapted to writing sci-fi/fantasy full time and making up my own species. I didn't watch scary movies until I was thirteen, but I loved them because I knew at the end of the movie the monsters couldn't get me, and that made me feel safe. I found an obsession with werewolves because they could transform and get stronger, and I love wolves. I loved using the human soul in what people called "monsters" to show that sometimes humans can be the true monsters. 

How are your books different from everything else out there?

My books are different from everything out there because I used to write as an escape,  so I can make very realistic characters and realistic settings. I put all my heart and soul into my writing. 

How did you first think of Head Hunters? 

I first thought of Head Hunters when I was going to bed one night. I was getting all comfy, and I thought of making a school for supernatural creatures. Then I thought about what could they be up against, and I came up with Head Hunters because I know what a threat poachers are to our world. The rest just came to me naturally. 

Juggling two projects at once seems tough. How do you do it? 

To juggle two projects is very hard because you have to keep the plots and casts of characters separate, but as I'm working on one project I'm planning and taking all the notes for the second one. As long as I don't write on both projects at once I'm able to keep both projects separate. 

You always have strong female leads. Do you identify with them? 

I identify with my strong female leads because I'm a strong, independent woman myself, and my female leads usually have a few of my personality traits. I like writing about strong women because I don't see enough women standing up and being strong for themselves when I've almost always had to be strong for myself. I wish more young women knew how to take care of themselves and knew that they don't need someone to save them. They just need to believe in themselves. Plus, I want the world to see the type of young women and women I've looked up to. 

If you had one piece of advice for aspiring writers, what would it be? 

If I were to give aspiring authors writing advice I would let them know that they HAVE to MAKE time to write. They can't let ANYTHING get in their way. If they want to write, they just have to grab a pen and paper or get on their computer and just write. They can't keep making excuses as to why they can't write. 

If you could be any superhero, who would it be?  

If I could be any superhero I'd be Max from Maximum Ride by James Patterson because I've ALWAYS looked up to her. I've emulated a few of her personalty traits that I loved the most. She has the power of flight and superspeed, but that's not why I love her as a superhero. I would want to be her because of what she stands for and how great of a leader she is even with her flaws. 


Okay I found more questions to answer today (10/23/14), so I'm going to add them to this note. I'm emulating the interview with Pamela Schott, a winner in a Writer's Digest writing contest. All answers are my own like they were in the top part. 

Why do you write?

My old answer was for sanity. Growing up, writing was one of my solaces. But since I moved to New York, my answer has changed. The family I live with is amazing, and they treat me great, so I write because I love creating. I love creating new worlds with laws different then our own. I love creating characters who are a lot like people I've met over the course of my life, but at the same time I create characters that are nothing like anyone I've ever met. 

What does your writing routine consist of?

I don't know exactly how to answer that because I don't have a writing routine. When I think of an idea I open up my laptop and work on the book that I was inspired to work on. When I'm out of the house and my laptop is at home I write down a rough outline that I can work off of and type up next time I'm home and in front of the laptop. Some days I'm just not inspired to write, and I don't touch a book. *shrugs*

What do you feel are your strengths as a writer? How have you developed these qualities?

I think my sense of dialogue and the details of my characters are some of my strengths as an author. I've developed these skills because I've listened to the advice my father had given me as a kid, and I listen to my mom and my husband when they think I should work on something. After all they just want the best for me. 

The last question in her interview is a question I've already answered in the top part of the interview. No need to repeat myself. ^-^ My bad the question was different from above, so I'll answer it. 

What is the best piece of writing advice you've ever been given?

This is something I kind of need to think about. Hmmm. I think it's one of the things my dad told me as I was growing up. "If you want to be an author in the future, always try to better your craft."


P.S. School starts Monday, I'm so excited. ^-^

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Treasured Memories Part II

Treasured Memories

International Women's Month Collection: Kaylyn Gabbert