What I've Loved the Most about my Writing so Far

Almost a week a ago, I was surprised when some of my friends, Andrea, out of the blue asked me about about my favorite writing accomplishment was. I answered publishing Drag Me to Hell and learning more about marketing myself. I also love being about to talk to people about writing. I asked why she was asking about it and she said it was Full Sail University class. I don't remember an assignment like that. I felt weird about how the conversation went from there. So I'll write it here.
What I love about my writing so far is that how ever since I wrote my first story on my way back from a winter church camp when I was eleven story writing has come naturally to me. I tested the waters in writing poetry, scripts, and fan fictions. Dad, Tim, and my moms, Jane and April were supportive and gave me feedback. I probably still own every notebook they bought and more I was given by others and I bought myself. Dad told me that, at one point that I should try to make my own characters and plot building on the progress I made in my fan fictions. I did a wonderful job. Some of my favorite stories I wrote were stories with my stuffed Beanie Buddy Fetch that I renamed Jamie being real, someone being able to take away the pain of others at expense of herself, writing from a dog's point of view (inspired by my third family dog, Rocky) and almost the entire lives of two characters Christin 'Ari' Keller and Gregor Ishima and their group of friends.
After Dad passed away in my senior year a lot of friends and family thought that I wouldn't be able to write again. But writing helped me deal with my loss. I wrote a speech for Dad two days after we lost him. I printed three copies while in a class. April read my speech at his funeral when I froze there. I kept a copy, gave a copy to April, and gave one to Dad. That summer I moved to Colorado and was mimicking a story I read by a high school friend and started writing Drag Me to Hell.
While publishing Drag Me to Hell I learned a lot, but most of all I accomplished my main goal of being an author which I always wanted to do since I was a kid. Tim gave me valuable advice like he always does. I learned about reading contracts word for word, how to work with others in a professional manner, and marketing. In February/March 2012 I had to fill out an interview about Drag Me to Hell. While filling it out I one, felt like I was back in high school filling out a reader packet like I did for all required reading, and two I froze so bad that three of my high school friends, Cody, Matt, and Mike had to help me answer the questions. I felt that helped me a lot in later interviews. I was surprised when a distant relative told me they saw Drag Me to Hell in bookstores.
I've come so far since then. I've published a second book not connected to Drag Me to Hell, Head Hunters. I've created a website for myself. I'm participating in three writing groups that share advice and ideas. I posted a blog entry about my Treasured Memories, that had multiple views and reviews. I've made two new long term writing projects after the Inspiration Dossier and my book notes for the Hell trilogy and Head Hunters. I've graduated from Full Sail University with a bachelors in Fin Arts degree in Creative Writing for Entertainment. I've been looking for freelancing jobs. I participated in NanoWritMo for the first time and wrote 20,000+ words of the 50,000. I started reinterviewing and doing more research for Escaping Hell, Drag Me to Hell's sequel.
I plan to write so much more soon. I have six projects that are still open.

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing about your writing journey thus far. I can relate in some ways because my Dad was diagnosed with Brain Cancer and passed away when I was a sophomore in college. His life and passing played a huge role in my writing journey. Good job on all your accomplishments and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading. May I ask about your writing process?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Treasured Memories Part II

Treasured Memories

What a Wonderful Day!