It's Award Season! Whoo!

So everyone knows award season is at the end of the year. I avoid the TV award shows like the plague. But I still am part of the season because Glamour always comes out with "Women of the Year". I live for that. And this year at NYCC I got In Praise of Difficult Women by Karen Karbo. I've been reading it since. But I just finished reading In Praise Difficult Women, and I was impressed. I learned a lot about women I had never heard of before this book and others I am familiar with their work. I got to learn what it was like to be women in different eras, and I have to be honest that I'm really appreciative of living as I am in this generation. It's a more vocal period for so many. For all the works I can I'll post the links at the end.

Reading In Praise of Difficult Women and about the about Glamour's "Women of the Year" I was reminded of some of the people who inspired me and have done so much. They've accomplished so much or survived a lot. I don't feel that it's my place to tell, but there are people I'm so proud of. My grandparents are amazing; my grandma does so much for everyone. I'm impressed and/or proud of all of my parents. My siblings have accomplished so much already. It's easier to say I'm just proud of most of my family. I've got to learn a lot about them recently. It's been great. A few of my friends are doing a lot.
I'm incredibly proud of my sister, Jessicah. She's always been so amazing, and I've recently had the pleasure of reading her work. She's a great writer whose all about researching her topic and explaining her point of view perfectly. She's also been supportive of my writing.
Twin has always been a bonafide badass. She researches everything thoroughly before ever coming up with an opinion. She's literally armed with knowledge, and I couldn't ask for a better best friend.
Ash was the woman who helped me find one of my passions to be an advocate for things we all go through and to fight the stigma of mental health. When I asked her about herself she was very forthcoming. She's not afraid to share her knowledge.
My friend Tiffany has an amazing and liberating blog that inspired me to write a few of my own nitty-gritty blog posts. She's one of the hardest workers I know, and I knew that during the first time we talked on the phone. She has big dreams, but I know she'll achieve them no matter.
One of my friends Tony is pretty badass. He went to the same college for different degrees, being the valedictorian each time. I met him when he was asking for people to do a table read for his game script. He's now also my boss at StrideStar Studios. He knows what he wants and knows how to get it. He never lets obstacles stop him. He's also a great boss who knows how to deal with people's individual personalities.
I met Monique through StrideStar. She's the art lead. I see the team talk, and every once in a while I read through their chat. She's a great and fair lead. She often encourages the team, and they have a lot of prompts that everyone seems to like. But I'm speaking of it as an outsider.
Reading about "The Women of the Year" also helped me write some nitty-gritty stories of my own past. I've been able to write about body image issues, talking about sexual assault in a more inclusive way, and my history of mental health.

At the end of Difficult Women by Karen Karbo there's a reader's guide. I won't go too far into it, but on question got my attention. "How do you define a "difficult women"?" I think a difficult woman is a woman who are independent, confident, and ambitious. Based on that all of my mothers (Jane, April, and Evette) are difficult women hands down. Nana is a warrior princess just like her mom always says. She works very hard. As far as making their voices heard is concerned Tiffany, Jessicah, and Ashlynn stand out to me. The people with the purist hearts are Grandma Sally, Aunt Rita, and Clara. Clara and Grandma Sally are always looking to make the world a better place by taking care of children and animals. Aunt Rita sends out emails about how all the family is doing all the time. Twin and Nana have dealt with chronic pain like champs, always doing what they can to better their lives. I can't help but mention some of the most caring people I know like Richard, Eric, and my dad. I don't think that they'd want me to say that, but it is true. Some of the strongest people I know are Ethan, Grandpa, Kyler, and Tim.

I was fascinated by some of the Women of the Year like Judge Rosemarie Aquilina, the Sister Army, The March for Our Lives activists, Betty Reid Soskin, and Manal Al-Sharif. They knew when to speak up and fight for what the believe is right. I was especially impressed by the Judge because she knew she had to listen to ALL the facts before making her verdict. Betty saw her chance to educate people in her role as a National Park ranger.

Out of the twenty-nine women mentioned in Difficult Women, eleven of them stood out to me. There were people I heard of prior like Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Billie Jean King, Frida Kahlo, and Carrie Fisher. Then there were women I want to look more into like: Gloria Stienem, Joshephine Baker, Rachel Maddow, Martha Gellhorn, Angela Merkel, and Laverne Cox. Lastly, Elizabeth Taylor stood out to me because her chapter was the longest, and it was weird that she was forgiven for what she did after she was wrongly reported as dead. She seemed to be the center of a few Hollywood scandals.
I know everyone loves what Ruth Bader Ginsburg is doing now, but something that impressed me happened when she was in college. When she was in college with her then boyfriend (became her husband), he had a bout of cancer, and while he was being treated she went to school for him and her, took care of their baby, and she took care of him. I know that there was a recently-ish a movie about Billie Jean King's tennis match with Bobby Riggs. Everyone's heard of Frida Kahlo and Carrie Fisher. What I didn't know about Frida had a bout with polio when she was a kid or that she wanted to be a nurse before a streetcar accident when she was eighteen. I'm impressed with some of Carrie's transparency when it came to her bipolar disorder.
Gloria Stienem was one of the notable feminists. She fought for marriage rights for women. Josephine Baker was a great dancer, and during WWII she used her status to help the French Resistance. Unlike most people who claimed to help with French Resistance she was the real deal. She was having no part of the Nazi's racism. I love how Rachel Maddow tells the news without her opinion in it. That sounds like a better way to report the news. My favorite thing about Martha Gellhorn is that she made a story of her own. Sure, she one of Hemmingway's wives, but that's not the only thing about her. She was a great journalist who wanted more in life than to just be someone's stay at home wife. Angela Merkel is Germany's chancellor. She's done so much for her country and Europe. One thing that impressed me of Laverne Cox was how she took an insulting question from one of the ladies of daytime TV asked and changed the conversation to something more important.

Mentioned People

Jessicah's blog
Tiffany's blog
StrideStar Studios fanpage
Monique

Mentioned of the Year

Aly Raisman's Speech (The Sister Army) (Judge Rosemarie's speech is in the link to the left as well)

Mentioned Difficult Women

This is the order the women are put in in the book. 
  1. Elizabeth Taylor
  2. Gloria Stienem 
  3. Ruth Bader Ginsburg
  4. Josephine Baker
  5. Rachel Maddow
  6. Martha Gellhorn 
  7. Angela Merkel 
  8. Billie Jean King
  9. Frida Kahlo
  10. Laverne Cox
  11. Carrie Fisher

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Treasured Memories Part II

Treasured Memories

What a Wonderful Day!