Reconciliations

Jane and I have getting along better this year. At the beginning of this month Richard and I saw Coco. It's a great movie about how a boy ends up going to the spirit world on Dia de les Muertos (the Day of the Dead). The movie made Richard and I cry a lot. The movie highlights the importance of family and passing on stories about those who have passed on. The movie had me wondering about my Grandpa Gabbert, who passed away before I was born. I also thought about Dad and my Uncle Harold. My Aunt Rita loves to tell stories about her husband. They had a wonderful marriage. One of her favorite stories to tell me was how they'd talk every night with no distractions. It made both Richard and I were both curious about our relatives.
The next day I emailed the most knowledgeable people in my family; Grandma Sally, Aunt Rita, and Jane. I also put up a status asking for memories tagging Uncey Jeff, Jason, Aunt Rita, and Jess. I've also reconnected a bit with Uncy Jeff and Jason this year. We don't talk as much as Jane and I though. Grandma Sally and Jason answered. Grandma Sally wasn't able to talk long because she's had family over every day this month. Jason reminded me of a camping trip that happened fifteen years ago. I can't believe it because I remember the very story he told. I called Jane later and we got to talking about Dad and her and how their relationship started. It was the coolest conversation I had had with her in a long time. She made me laugh and tear up during the conversation. Since we have been talking more this year I got the courage to ask her about the memory boxes she made for all of her kids. She said she made the box for us. The only thing I asked about that she no longer has is a tree costume she made me when I was a kid. Apparently I didn't like it much back then. I feel awful because I was thinking about it recently. Jane said she'd start to send me stuff. Our conversation was so good this time I added her on Facebook which I haven't done in years.
Today (12/23/17) I received two boxes. There was a lot of stuff in them was my baby book, two pins with pictures of me from my baseball days, five ornaments I made. There was so much. I blushed so much when I saw the pins. I held them picture saying, "No! No! No!" Richard came over and laughed lightly. He took them and showed our brother, Eric who called them embarrassment pins. I was embarrassed at first, but I shared them on my personal page. I cried four separate times while reading the baby book. Both my parents wrote in it. What they had to say was so sweet. It even mentions my grandparents, I don't remember my Grandma Gabbert much because she passed away when I was a kid.  It was nice to read about all of them. The baby book was almost and entirely filled out. I got to learn so much about my parents and what they thought of me. I'm tearing up right now just writing this.
I hope in the next year I reconnect with them more. I

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Treasured Memories Part II

Treasured Memories

What a Wonderful Day!