Another Interview with Kaylyn Gabbert

Not everyone will understand this, but while I was meditating it felt like my Dad came to me and interviewed me like professionals will do when I publish more books. Questions my Dad was asking:

1.     What got you into writing? 
·        I initially started writing out of boredom on a long car ride home from a camping trip. Then as I grew older writing became an escape from the mundane life and tough situation. It was my best outlet.
2.     How many notebooks do you think you have? 
·        *laughs* I have way too many notebooks. I could probably fill a bookcase or two with all the notebooks I have.
3.     Why do your main characters have a scar on their left thumb? 
·        My protagonists have a scar on their left thumb because I have a scar on my left thumb. 
4.     How'd you get the scar on your thumb? 
·        I- The best way to describe it is it’s been there as long as I can remember. At some point I scratched it as a nervous habit and I haven’t stopped since.
5.     Why do your protagonists all have music based powers so far? 
·        Music always protected me as I grew up, so it only makes sense that music would also protect my protagonists.
6.     How did music protect you as you were growing up? 
·        As all people I grew up with hardships like people tearing me down verbally and hearing my parents argue a lot. Music was a way for me to block that all out. Some songs gave me more strength then others, but music has always protected me from the outside world when I needed protecting.
7.     Do you listen to all the songs you mention in your writing?
·        I have listened to all the songs I’ve mentioned at some point. I can’t say I still listen to all those songs because my taste in music is forever changing.
8.     Do you create all your characters, or are some of your characters based off people?
·        I create a lot of my characters, but most of the cast in Drag Me to Hell were based off people I knew whereas the cast of Head Hunters were mostly characters of my own design.
9.     How do you decide who you want to base a character off of? 
·        I base characters off people who meant the world to me at the time I was writing the story or book.
10. Is there anyone you're afraid to put into your writing and why?
·        I’m petrified to put my younger brother Ethan into my writing because I’m worried I wouldn’t do his character justice.
11. Is there anyone you think you wrote perfectly into a book?
·        When I wrote Head Hunters I think I perfectly wrote a character based off my dad. I kept the character’s name the same as my father’s as a tribute to the wonderful man he was. I think I kept that character pretty close to the person my father was.
12. I heard in one of the books you're working on that you wrote from several points of view. How did you go about that?
·        I’m not sure how to describe it… It basically came to me. I wasn’t really thinking about anything else, and then I knew exactly what that character wanted to say.

 That's all I felt Dad was asking me so far. If anyone has any questions for me feel free to ask. You can comment or send me a message here.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Treasured Memories Part II

Treasured Memories

What a Wonderful Day!