Achievement Unlocked: Promise Kept

DO NOT POST THIS TILL JULY 17!!

When I was seventeen my dad was giving me a ride home from somewhere that I can't remember. I don't know what he and I were talking about originally, but the conversation shifted to people's personalities and marriage. He started to tell me about how people change as they grow. He asked me if I was the same as I was two years ago, and I replied no. He said people change over two year periods all the time until you're about twenty-five years old when you've kind of figured out who you are. So on this car ride when we were on our street and almost home he made me promise that I would not get married until I was twenty-five.
Even though Dad passed away in 2010 I was determined to keep the promise. In 2012, I met Richard online. Our relationship went from messaging each other on a writing website to texting in one day. We texted and then lost touch for like a week or two. I texted him and we reconnected. By April 21, 2012 we were officially together. We've been together since. Our relationship has always grown. I met his family on Facebook. He came out to Cali to visit me and meet me in person. I planned a three week vacation in New York in July of 2013. Things changed between me purchasing my tickets and actually going. I ended up moving here. That year we both proposed to each other, but Richard knew that my promise to dad and knew I wanted to keep it. He was and always has been okay with me wanting to keep this promise as well as being completely supportive of it. Throughout all of our relationship we have grown together and as individuals.
Keeping this promise means the world to me and has taught me a lot. I've grown a lot since I came to New York. When I got here I was a nervous wreck, I have learned to deal with my depression and anxiety. My PTSD rarely affects me as much as it did years before. Therapy has really helped me out become the woman I want to be.
Since Richard and I have moved into our own place I've found out how I want to run my place, what I'm good at and what I'm not and so much more. I have learned what our place needs and how things are when I'm alone.
I hope my dad would I think my dad would be proud of me on more than one front. He would be proud of who I have been becoming, how I went after my degree, how I've been growing up. I feel like he would be proud of how I have such good people in my life and how I am planning for my future both as an individual and as a couple with Richard.
One thing I forgot to mention before rereading this is that I think Dad would love the family I found here. I feel that he would treat everyone with respect and love hanging out with them. Dad would love that not only did I find a wonderful man, but I also found a wonderful family as well.

DO NOT POST THIS TILL JULY 17!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Treasured Memories Part II

Treasured Memories

International Women's Month Collection: Kaylyn Gabbert