Glamour: Random Acts of Courage

Once again a Glamour article inspired me to want to write another blog post. This one is from the August 2017 issue. This is just for the month unlike one of the other blog posts inspired by Glamour that were in every issue for a while. Cindi Leivi, Glamour's editor-in-chief, started us off by bringing up risks she's not ready for, but as she thought about it she how she has taken risks though. (For those of you who follow people on Twitter you can find Cindi Leivi at @cindi_leivi ) On the page after, seven women talk about the biggest risks they've ever taken.
Some of the risks mentioned are writing a letter to the owner of Ms. magazine. (Cindi Leivi) The owner of the magazine didn't take the bait. Haha. Other risks from the other women included starting a YouTube channel, visiting Paris with her best friend when she was sixteen-years-old, and moving to New York with next to no money.
In Cindi Leivi's page she wrote that, "We all get wherever we are in life with little acts of bravery." That made me think of some of the acts of bravery that I have done in my life. So here's what I came up with:

  1. 1. Moving to my dad's on the summer I turned fourteen. I asked my dad if he still had room for me. He said yes, but I had to tell my mom I wanted to move. I did, and right before my fourteenth birthday I moved from Virginia to Washington state on my own mostly. It was a great decision for me and my well-being. 
  2. I did what was best for me before my eighteenth birthday and moved back to my mom's due to family matters I will not discuss here. I went from Washington state to Colorado.
  3. I finished a book in 2011 and chose to get it published. I researched and re-researched everything during the publishing process. I even worked on the publishing process during a vacation. 
  4. I moved from Colorado to California again almost all on my own. 
  5. In the beginning of 2012 I filled out a marketing plan for my first book which was actually a lot scarier than moving as much as I have. Because it was more personal. Up until then I had only shared my work with my friends. At that moment I was sharing a questionnaire about my writing to over hundreds of places such as radio station, TV stations, and more. 
  6. Then in the summer of 2013 I decided it was time for another change of venue and moved from California to New York. I had never been to New York before moving here (besides having a layover there a few times). I moved almost entirely on my own that time and I was so happy and proud of myself. This is one of the moves that made me a lot of who I am. 
  7. I've also been going to school since October for my Bachelors degree in Creative Writing which I have almost got. 
  8. I published a second book (unrelated to the first book) in May 2015. 
Richard has taken risks such as: 
  1. He earned his GED in 2012. 
  2. He flew on his own from New York to California to meet me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Treasured Memories Part II

Treasured Memories

International Women's Month Collection: Kaylyn Gabbert