Novel Over Script

I'm in Scriptwriting Techniques this month. For the most part I'm taking notes. There's been two tests, and I've had to write one script. For the most part my grades in this class are good. But all the note taking has taught me one thing... I definitely love writing novels way more than I like writing scripts. Scripts lack detail which I love to write. I love writing a world people can see in their head.
When I was starting the publishing process for 'Drag Me to Hell' back in 2011 some of the people I was working with at Authorhouse said they saw my work as a movie in their head while they read the manuscript. It makes me happy and feel like a great story teller. They told me about Pitch Fest which is how authors pitch their ideas to producers, actors, and more. At first I was just financially unable to look into this further. But as I got older and showed interest in going to Full Sail University for my bachelor's in creative writing I found out I wanted to learn more about the industry before making a decision. A couple months ago a film student from the school and I talked about film adaptations and his thoughts on them. He thought they were "... great way to gain revenue from books and what not...", and he added how to not get a bad deal. I let him know I wanted to keep working on getting my degree and learning more before my final decision. Now that I'm in Scriptwriting Techniques and I'm learning the how to write scripts.
Some of the differences between writing a novel and writing a script that I've learned are... While writing a novel I can write it however I want and can create a whole world though when writing a script you want to cut out unnecessary details that will be seen on the screen and they must be written in present tense. You can lose a lot of story when creating a film adaption of a novel because scripts are more about action. I still have a lot to learn in my program, but for now I still definitely love writing novels of scripts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Treasured Memories Part II

Treasured Memories

What a Wonderful Day!