Treasured Memories (Flash Fiction for VTaW)

For my Visual Thinking and Writing class I had to write a story to go along with a picture he provided. I came up with the story below based on this picture: 



Treasured Memories

This car has been outside my place for weeks. The car seems to be abandoned or something because I never see anyone walk up to it. The car is dark gray and I'm not sure of the make or model. It looks like it has two front bumpers and four headlights. Every time I bring it up to my husband he doesn't think much of it and he tells me to ignore it. I don't think he understands that because I'm a writer I always have these crazy theories in my head about why this car is always across the street from our house. Maybe I watch too many crime dramas, and the car really is there for no reason other than the owner parked it and hasn't needed it for weeks. Wait, could the owner be dead in their home?
"Alice, please quit thinking about that car. It's just a car parked on the street," my husband said.
I shut the curtains and walked over to our bed and crawled in. I curled up next to Alexander and looked up at him.
"I just think it's weird."
"No you don't," Alexander said. "You're just fishing for a story that doesn't even exist."
"I guess you're right."

The next day I walked over to the car to inspect it. I couldn't help myself. There was some stains on the side of the car facing away from our house. I knelt down to inspect what it was. It could have been dirt or blood. It looked like mud, but it seemed very recent.
"Hey. What are you doing next to my car?" a female asked as she ran over to the car.
She looked rather disheveled.
"Are you okay?" I asked as I stood up.
"No, I'm really not."
"Can I help you in some way?"
She started to scratch as if she was nervous.
I asked, "Do you want to take a shower and get some new clothes?"
She nodded. She was wearing a overly huge sweater and kept her arms tightly wrapped around her chest. She was unearthly pale and look like she hadn't slept in a week.
I led her into my house and upstairs to my master bathroom.
"May I ask your name?" I asked as I grabbed a towel from the linen closet.
"My name's Tammy."
"I'm Alice. Would you like anything to eat or drink?"
"You can tell, can't you?"
"I'm sorry. What?"
"You can tell I'm not the healthiest right now, can't you?"
"I just want to be able to help you."
"I would love a couple peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and some tea if you have it please."
I handed her the towel.
"Do you mind if I take a bath?"
"Not at all."
I walked downstairs and prepared her sandwiches. I added some fruit salad to the plate and poured a glass of ice tear. As I went upstairs I heard Tammy crying. I knocked on the bathroom door softly and I heard her cry louder.
I walked in and put the tray on the counter. I sat on the edge of the tub.
"What's wrong, hon?" I asked.
She grabbed my arm and gasped trying to catch her breath. "I-I miss my husband."
"What happened to him?"
"He was overseas on business, and an earthquake happened.The building he was in tumbled to the ground while he was inside. He was supposed to be home this week, and I still think he'll come through our door any day now."
"That can't be easy."
"I get so lonely." She looked down as if she was ashamed. "I'm sorry."
"I know what's it's like to be lonely after losing someone. I'm here if you need anything."
She smiled at me. "Thank you. You know the car out there."
"Yeah?"
"It was my husband's car. I wasn't- I'm not able to drive it yet."
"I completely understand."
"The car was where my husband and I had our first kiss and such."
"Does it has a lot memories?"
"Yes," she said as she smiled even more. "I treasure every memory."


I hope you guys like the story I came up with. Also I created a website for my writing. If you want to check it out here's the website. Kaylyn's World in Words

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Treasured Memories Part II

Treasured Memories

International Women's Month Collection: Kaylyn Gabbert