Bookcon

So I went to Bookcon with Richard yesterday. For anyone who doesn't know what that is it's one of the book conventions that happens. I wanted to initially check it out because my publishing company wants me to be a part of it. I thought it would be wiser to check it out before I try to be a part of it. For some reason they had Bookcon the same time the had BEA (BookExpo America) which I think is unfair because BEA is longer, like four days, and Bookcon is like a day or two, so Bookcon was pretty small. The first real booth Richard and I went to is the Penny Dreadful booth that's run by the self-published author Carl Paolino. At first he was running it all by himself which was hard because he had to have his eyes everywhere at once because people kept thinking they could take his books for free. But he paid for his booth all by himself. He needs people to buy his book more than the big name published books. I was the first person of the day to buy a copy of his book, and I want to tell you he was really nice and cool. I love that I got a book signed by the author. Some booths were able to give away books for free, and Richard and I took full advantage of that. Bookcon was supposed to have guests like James Patterson (my favorite author) and Stan Lee (Dad's favorite author), and I wanted to meet both of them and get their autographs. I wanted Stan Lee's autograph because it was Dad's birthday yesterday, and I know he wanted his autograph. But when I saw a sign with Stan Lee's name on it this young girl stood in my way and informed me there was a line, but I just wanted to see when he'd be there. And when I asked people in charge of Bookcon information when and where James Patterson would be, no one knew because of the two book conventions. They were way too confused for my taste. We saw what looked like a line for James Patterson hours before he was supposed to show, but I didn't know what the line was for. The crowd was too thick for me to get through, so Richard and I left early after we went to a booth that was selling all their books half off their sticker price. We got a word-search for our brother, Eric, and we got two books for our nieces. Annaise loves her book, and I'm still waiting to give the other book to my other niece, Angelina. So we ended up buying eight books in all for pretty cheap. After we left Bookcon we went to lunch at this place called Heroboy. Their food was delicious and filling even though we both just got small dishes. After that we went walking around Times Square a couple times before we went to see Maleficent. The movie was fantastic. I had so much fun yesterday.
Yesterday also taught me something very important. If I manage to be a part of Bookcon next year I need Mom, Dad, and Richard there to support me and protect my product from being stolen. It also showed me that even though I've been discouraged from writing lately I still am, in my heart, an author. No matter how much work I have to do to become a successful author I'm prepared to do it. My heart and soul have always been in writing, and I will never let anything stop me from doing something I'm so passionate about. I guess if I'm willing to do so much tedious work to be a successful author that I should get discouraged from writing. I am, after all, a pretty good author, and I'm always trying to get better. In all honesty, I'm glad Bookcon could help me remember how much I'm passionate about my work. It's good to be reminded of something like that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Treasured Memories Part II

Treasured Memories

What a Wonderful Day!