Antagonists of Fiction: Bailey Fletcher from the Hell Series

Dear Author: 

We antagonists, villains, bad guys, femme fatales- call us what you will- don't get no respect. We're overlooked, underdeveloped and squeezed into a space that would cramp your gerbil. When we get short shirft, your books aren't nearly as good as they could be. They lack tension and depth. They're forgettable. Not that I'm pointing fingers, but I've got to tell you it's your fault. Who was given pages and pages of backstory in your last novel? That's right- The protagonist. Whose motives and character were fully fleshed out? Right again- the so-called "good" guys. Who did you "interview" and construct a character bible for? Yeah, him again. Well, I don't mind getting second billing, but I to point out that if you gave readers a chance to truly know and understand me, your books would be a lot more memorable and engaging. We might even get a movie deal, like my idol, Hannibal Lecter. 


Sincerely, Eva N. Carnate 



Eva N. Carnate is helping me a lot with Bailey's character development because she got me to buy Bullies, Bastards, and Bitches by Jessica Page Morrell. It's an amazing kind of book to help all authors write better villains of every kind including anti-heroes, dark heroes, bad boys, sociopaths, dangerous women, monsters, and ect. The book also teaches about primal fears, how to have matching wits: heroes vs. villains, sympathy for the devil, and bad guys for younger readers. Plus, there is also an appendix in the way back that helps you flesh out your antagonist by asking you thirty-seven tough questions that really make you think about your antagonist. It's an amazing book. 

So I've been recently working on fleshing out Bailey's character development. Out of the thirty-seven questions in the back of the Bullies, Bastard, and Bitches book I have changed seventeen answers because Bailey isn't as heartless as I made her out to be when I wrote Drag Me to Hell. You get to know her a lot better in Escaping Hell because Pandora becomes like- *shrugs*- closer to her. You'll see what I mean when I finish Escaping Hell. 

No news about school. Wish me luck. They may call me this week. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Treasured Memories Part II

Treasured Memories

International Women's Month Collection: Kaylyn Gabbert