An Outrage

There was an article I read two days ago that appalled me. I couldn't believe that this seventeen-year-old punk kid plagiarized several books to create her own book. The article was called "Author, 17, Says It's 'Mixing,' Not Plagiarism" by Nicholas Kulish. The article says this seventeen-year-old, Helene Hegemann, wrote a book in three weeks, which to me seems to be impossible since you not only have to write an entire book but also you have to do the proper editing. Doing that in three weeks? *scoffs* Yeah right. A blogger discovered she took a whole page from a less-known novel "Strobo" by a person by the name Airen. This girl is supposed to be some sort of genius who wrote a play and a movie; the play had been staged and the movie had been directed and released in theaters.

To me it's just- pisses me off. When I wrote Drag Me to Hell it took me about a year then I set out to publish it. It took me more than that to write Head Hunters. But all the words, thoughts, ideas, characters, and storyline, and so on were all mine. Every one of those things came from my brain. My blood, sweat, and tears go into all my writing. I write binders and binders of notes for my work along with folders and folders. So I think it's terrible that some chick thinks it's okay to steal others' hard work just to fake being a gifted child or whatever. Kulish claimed the works she used inspired her, but I know when work inspires me I still write my own work, copying nothing that inspired me without citing it. It also disappoints me because the book was number five on a best-sellers list, and after they found out she plagiarized they still thought it was okay. In my whole-hearted opinion if you want to be an author create your own storyline and characters or find a new career line. This article- I just couldn't believe it.

If you'd like to read the article and form your own opinion here's the link: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/12/world/europe/12germany.html?_r=2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Treasured Memories Part II

Treasured Memories

What a Wonderful Day!