International Women's Month Collection: Irene Lyla Lee

Meet Irene, she's one of my writing mentors and beta readers. But mostly, she's a mentor and accountability partner outside the group I started. I love it. 


Kaylyn Gabbert: We met when I joined the Brooklyn Women's Writing Group that you host via Zoom that I joined last year. I heard you guys started meeting in person first. When was the group founded?

Irene Lyla Lee: Oh gosh. I think the group was founded in 2017, but I joined in the summer of 2019. The leaders have changed over the years. 

KG: When did you first fall in love with writing?

ILL: Oh my God. That is such a sweet question. I'm an only, so I've, like, always been making up stories. I don't know when I started to write my dreams at the age of nine. Then I started to write every day. I think it helped me ground myself to the world. Without my seventh grade teacher seeing me as a writer I probably would not have seen myself as a writer. 

KG: What started your love affair with in-home gardening?

ILL: *laughs* I always tried to keep plants, but this was fairly recent. Here's the deal, I used to have a basement apartment with no real light but in this apartment [3rd floor] can have some plants. Five years ago, my old roommate gave me a pothos [a plant that grows on the window], and when I saw it growing I noticed I can take care of plants. Also you bring plants back if they are dying.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Treasured Memories

An Open Letter to my Parents

Digital Literacy Vision