Women's Empowerment Month Collection: Nephrys Darkwater

 Nephrys Darkwater and I met years ago in a writing group before making a few of our own. We work pretty well at encouraging and supporting other creative minds together. She's a phenomenal author, a sweetheart when it comes to editing (she's edited my work before), and she knows what she wants. 


Kaylyn Gabbert: Nephrys Darkwater is a unique name. What inspired it?

Nephrys Darkwater: So I was fourteen when I had first created the name Nephrys Darkwater. I've been fascinated by Ancient history, back then I was especially keen on Egypt. One of the goddesses is Nepthys. I really liked that name and it just became Nephrys.

The Darkwater part was added on from an old cartoon I remember growing up watching called The Pirates of Dark Water. Released in 1991 with only one season and it was never completed, but it's still a great show.

KG: What inspires your writing?

ND: I have loved books since I was a toddler. My mom has old videos of me pushing aside presents to get to my birthday cards. She also told me a story of when I was four, she had heard me talking to myself and checked in on me. I had a Dr. Seuss book in my lap and was reading it. Or so she first thought. I had the book upside down. I had memorized the story and when to turn the pages.

As I grew up, children's books just weren't interesting enough for me, so I branched out to books with more words than pictures. Later on, I discovered I could drop myself into another world through books. I often couldn't see the pages in front of my face. Because of Scooby Doo, I tried out Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys and I loved them. The Lord of the Rings trilogy and Harry Potter made me fall in love with fantasy and I never looked back. 

When I was in middle school, my teachers were always surprised at how much I enjoyed books as well as my comprehensive level. By the time I was fourteen, the average student barely had a reading comprehension at the ninth grade level while mine was tested at a second year college level.

So, long story short, books inspire me. Although over the past couple of years, anime and games have inspired me as well.

KG: How do you deal with writer's block?

ND: Everyone needs a break because if you don't take one, burnout is a good possibility and it takes awhile to recover from that. If I get stuck on a story, I just try to work on another. If I can't focus or get words out, I'll read.

Whether devouring or creating, my life revolves around books.

KG: You used to help me with edits on my own work. Do you still do that?

ND: I haven't really helped anyone edit their work in a long time. Whenever I beta read for someone, I'm always nervous they'll get mad at me if I were to point things out, so I try to just read through. I always ask the author before I send any edits or suggestions to try to avoid hurt feelings on both sides.



To see more by Nephrys you can check out her page: https://www.facebook.com/Nephrys-Darkwater-Author-417219052081381


Or her group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/JinxedLotusProductions/ 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Treasured Memories Part II

Treasured Memories

What a Wonderful Day!