International Women’s Spread Lalo M.

Introducing the multi-talented, very helpful, and so kind, Lalo. We met in Brooklyn's Women's Writing Group. 

Kaylyn Gabbert: Do you have a problem with people often mispronouncing your name? If you do, does it bother you?

Lalo M.: People do indeed mispronounce my name more often than not [Lah•low] and it's mainly just awkward. I can understand people haven't encountered another Lalo yet so they stumble on the name. I would want to encourage people to ask for clarification on pronunciation as many times as they need. Honesty and vulnerability goes a long way to clear up awkwardness in its myriad of forms.

KG: What brought you to the Brooklyn Women’s Writing Group? 

LM: I've always loved writing and dream of someday soon being published. I had moved to New York to pursue my Bachelor's of Fine Arts when I joined the Brooklyn Women's Writing Group. As an introvert new to the city I was seeking community and thankfully feel like I found one. 

KG: What are your favorite mediums to write in?

LM: Recently I've gotten very into confessional poetry and essays and have even spun it into a manuscript for a memoir. My poems end up centering familial estrangement and the beauty of nature. I consistently journal as a means of self exploration and betterment. Historically I am most interested in fantasy, YA fiction, and new adult fiction!  

KG: What are some of your hobbies? 

LM: Joining the Women's Writing Group parlayed into me participating in open mic nights and sharing my poems with a cozy little audience. Even though I am a Fine Artist and oil painter professionally, I love doodling to regulate and express myself in a more casual manner. For some reason I've always enjoyed making cards and invitations. I love reading, hiking, watching loads of content about a million topics but especially psychology. I'm also fiddling with starting crocheting or knitting this year as the hobby seems to have more buzz and community around it than ever. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Treasured Memories Part II

Treasured Memories

What a Wonderful Day!