International Women’s Spread Irene Lyla Lee

Reintroducing my friend and writing mentor along with much more Irene. Irene is practically the queen of almost all plant knowledge, she's very wise, and always outgoing. 

Kaylyn Gabbert: I know I interviewed you last year, but we've gotten so much closer since last year that I had to ask you back. 

Irene Lyla Lee: Thank you. And maybe we can cover new topics and get deeper into things. 


KG: What made you so passionate about teaching/tutoring?

ILL: Um… That’s a really good question. I’m going to get really honest. My first job when I was young was babysitting and teaching all the way through to college. It was kind of all by accident. Then through grad school, I needed a flexible job that didn’t pay minimum wage. I’m basically using this accidental career path to help with my writing, so they go more hand-in-hand. So they focus on literacy and writing or literacy and language. I almost feel like this was gendered, like if I was a boy, would I be on this path? 


KG: Have you always wanted to help other writers one-on-one?

ILL: Um… I think that for a long time I’ve wanted to help one-on-one. I’ve always wanted to help people. When I was younger I was shy because I thought my writing wasn’t good enough to help others. I didn’t think my advice was strong enough, like I didn’t put enough value in my own advice.

KG: Do you still feel that way?

ILL: No. I don’t and that’s a lot to do with Brooklyn’s Women’s Writing Group that helped me learn that it was just about showing up. And whether it’s about showing up for a peer or a student and how you help them be present with their writing.


KG: What got you into writing your newsletter called What’s That Plant!?

ILL: Oh my Gooosh! I always loved being outside and loved the natural world. I took a newsletter writing course with Amber Petty, and her main thing was what’s a subject that everyone always asks you. And everyone always asks me what plant this or that is. That’s why it’s called ‘What’s That Plant!?’ and not ‘That Plant’. It’s a great way to combine my love for writing and the environment. 


KG: When we were talking lately about plants you’ve never heard of, were you really excited to find out about them?

ILL: Yes, and I’m definitely adding those black roses to one of my posts. I’m not sure if I’m going to write a longer or smaller post for paying subscribers for it yet though. 



ilylali.com


https://irenelylalee.substack.com/


Irene’s interview from last year: https://kaylynsworldimaginaryandnot.blogspot.com/2023/04/international-womens-month-collection.html


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Treasured Memories Part II

Treasured Memories

What a Wonderful Day!